Hydration, by definition, means the process of causing something to absorb water. Generally, we think of hydration as something that only pertains to humans, but in fact, all living things on earth need water to survive… it is the most essential chemical substance in existence. We are constantly reminded how important hydration is for us… but WHY? What does it actually do for our bodies? Why is proper hydration so critical for you and me???
Here are 8 health benefits of proper hydration
1. Maximize physical performance – Exercise is one of the most important factors for human survival. Dehydration by as little as 2% of your body weight impairs your ability to perform physical activity. Losing more than 5% of your body weight in fluid can decrease your ability to workout by close to 30%. Lean muscle is comprised of about 80% of water which is why it is so crucial for exercise and physical performance. According to F. Batmanghelidj, MD, “Exercise makes the muscles hold more water in reserve and prevents increased concentration of blood that would otherwise damage the lining of blood vessel walls.” Water is one of the best (and legal) PEDs out there!
2. Help fight jet lag – Dehydration amplifies the negative effects of jet lag, and it’s incredibly easy to get dehydrated when you are flying on long trans-continental flights. This is due to the fact that airplanes tend to fly at high altitude and cabins are incredibly dry. Flights also don’t traditionally offer much in the way of hydration supply (8oz of water every 3 hours isn’t going to cut it). It’s critical to make sure you hydrate before, during, and after your flight. Check out our 3 Tricks to Beat Jet Lag.
3. Increase energy levels and combat fatigue – Water is one of the most important energy sources in your body. It has a number of enzymatic functions including contributing to good sleep, production of energy throughout the day, and restoration of bodily systems. “Water energizes food, and particles are then able to supply the food with this energy during digestion. This is why food without water has absolutely no energy value for the body,” says F. Batmanghelidj, MD. Next time you are feeling a bit sluggish, try reaching for a glass of water or Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier instead of your 3rd coffee of the day.
4. Promote healthy brain function and increase mental clarity – According to F. Batmanghelidj, MD, “water is directly needed for the efficient manufacture of all neurotransmitters, including seratonin.” 73% of the brain is water so it’s understandable how big of an impact hydration has on the body’s most important organ. Scientists have done studies to show that losing just 1.1% body water weight increases your neural effort when performing cognitive tasks, having an effect on short term memory, long term memory recall, arithmetic and general problem solving. “When your brain is functioning on a full reserve of water, you will be able to think faster, be more focused, and experience greater clarity and creativity,” says Merlin and Nancy Hearn in Water and Brain Function: How to Improve Memory and Focus.
5. Promote healthy digestion – Dehydration is one of the leading causes of constipation. If your body doesn’t have enough water in it when your body moves food from the stomach to the large intestine, the intestine will steal and soak up the water from your food. Water and other fluids help break down food so that your body can absorb the nutrients. It also helps soften your stool which helps you have regular bowel movements (gross, but true).
6. Prevent/treat headaches and migraines – Whether it’s from drinking a few too many glasses of wine the night before or simply not drinking enough water throughout the day, dehydration can often lead to the dreaded headache and even migraine. According to researchers, dehydration causes blood volume to drop, which results in less blood and oxygen flow to the brain and dilated blood vessels. Some experts believe that a loss of electrolytes in the body causes nerves in the brain to produce pain signals. Keeping a balance of fluid and electrolytes is one of the best things you can do to prevent your head from throbbing. Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier contains the best possible ratio of electrolytes and water for optimal hydration.
7. Reduce premature signs of aging – Skin is the largest human organ and it is the first place to give up its water supply when the body starts to become dehydrated because priority is given to vital organs like the liver, lungs, and brain. Water allows your skin to get rid of unwanted toxins. Without water your skin can become dry, inflamed, itchy, and filled with acne. If you want glowing skin, it’s imperative that you stay properly hydrated. And giving your skin some extra hydration from the outside (aka lotion) is never a bad idea.
8. Prevent high blood pressure – Blood is approximately 92% water when the body is fully hydrated. The amazing thing about water in the bloodstream is that it actually dilutes the blood and prevents it from clotting during circulation. Keeping hydration levels high will keep blood moving freely through the veins and arteries, helping to prevent high blood pressure and other cardiovascular ailments. Keep your hydration levels up and the blood flowing!
Why not just drink water? We get this question all the time and it’s a great one! The answer: Water is our favorite thing in the world, it’s just difficult to drink enough of it to stay properly hydrated. And that’s why we created Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier.. so we all have access to the breakthrough science that allows your body to absorb more of nature’s favorite beverage!